From Alexander Shorin <>
Subject Re: Sphinx docs
Date Fri, 03 Aug 2012 17:35:20 GMT
Hi Dirkjan,

I'm ready to sent bucket of patches, but is your repo[1] be central
point to work on CouchDB sphinx docs?  Or it will be dch[2] one? In
other words, whom sent patches to prevent making same work twice? If
everyone will develop his own docs version there wouldn't be anything
good just only merge hell(:

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 9:01 PM, Dirkjan Ochtman <> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 4:00 PM, Noah Slater <> wrote:
>> Dirkjan, please just concentrate on getting the output targets of your
>> existing Makefile working. (The Makefile I saw when I checked out your
>> Github repo last.) Don't bother yourself with Autotools. Just get the docs
>> dir working as if it were a separate concern, and I will take care of
>> integration.
> Okay, I think this is done. You can still see the current result here:
> I've tested the html and texinfo targets so far, both seem to be fine.
> I've also left a TODO.txt for everyone who'd like to help out
> improving the docs and just needs a little nudge in the right
> direction.
> I have not removed the DocBook-based docs yet, since they are used in
> the build system and I didn't feel like messing with Noah's baby. ;)
> (Also, listing each and every HTML file seems incredibly tedious.) You
> can get the good stuff from
> I'm not sure whether it should be merged to master first, then
> included with the build system, or the other way around.
> Basic workflow is this:
> - Install docutils, pygments and sphinx via your system package
> manager, easy_install or pip
> - Go to share/sphinx-docs
> - Edit any .rst files
> - make html
> - Lather, rinse, repeat
> Helpful docs for those new to dealing with reST/Sphinx:
> Also, I'm going on vacation for a bit. I'll be around a little bit
> this weekend if there's anything you need from me, then I'll be gone
> for a week without network.
> Cheers,
> Dirkjan

View raw message