From Nick North <nort...@gmail.com>
Subject Process for code submissions?
Date Sun, 05 Aug 2012 15:05:18 GMT
I'm wondering if there is any process for dealing with code submissions
i.e. for getting a decision that they are accepted, rejected, or ignored. I
hope the following doesn't come across as a complaint, because I think
CouchDb and the community are great, but I feel in limbo on this particular
topic.

The reason for asking is that I submitted JIRA issue
COUCHDB-1373<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB-1373>a
while back, then let it drop for some while before submitting pull
request 28 <https://github.com/apache/couchdb/pull/28> with proposed code
for implementing the suggestion. After some initial discussion on the JIRA
issue, there was no response to the pull request, and I don't know if that
means I didn't follow the right process, it has been rejected, it's been
decided to ignore it, or it's gone into a queue to be considered eventually.

There are many good reasons for not accepting submitted code: the
suggestion may be bad, the code may be bad, there may not be the resources
to deal with it, it may be undesirable creeping featurism, it may come from
someone who hasn't demonstrated good understanding of the project etc. Any
of those verdicts might apply in this case but, whatever the reason is, it
would be good to be told it so that I know whether it's worth expending
more effort to improve my chances of acceptance, or whether to spend that
time on finding ways to carry on without the proposed code.

If someone can help or guide me, or give an outline of how things operate
in this area, I'd be really grateful. Many thanks,

Nick North