From Robin De Mol <archercr...@gmail.com>
Subject Suggestion for next big release: extended transactional support
Date Mon, 06 Aug 2012 07:36:39 GMT
Dear reader,

I've been using CouchDB in several projects with joy. Recently I also tried to use it in a
large project at my work. I'm very pleased with the REST api and the features CouchDB offers
such as replication, though there is one type of interaction that I find leaves room for improvement.
If you would have it, here is a suggestion for a large future release regarding the topic
of transactions with the database:

1. start a transaction by calling a specific url (such as make a post to _transaction or something),
2. perform a bunch of interactions through calls to the REST api,
3. finish your work with a commit or abort message.

At the moment, I'm facing difficulties keeping my database consistent when working with batch
operations where bulk_docs are not sufficient (e.g. when I need to edit docs in different
databases at the same time, like the _users and the userbase of a database's ddoc).

Is there any feedback to the feasibility of this suggestion?

Thanks,
Robin