From Alexander Shorin <kxe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: "ddoc" protocol for query server?
Date Sat, 21 Jul 2012 16:34:08 GMT
On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 8:24 PM, Samuel Williams
<space.ship.traveller@gmail.com> wrote:

> W.R.T. design documents, why isn't it used for view related functions,
> since it seems to include all the code for that purpose? Is it due to
> efficiency? Is design document the future of the query server structure?

For backward compatibility: even modern query server still able to
serve for 0.8+ CouchDB there was only map/reduce functions. Other
design functions was introduced only in 0.9 release with stand alone
commands and at 0.11 they was refactored to be as subcommand for
"ddoc". However, that's my own opinion why so - probably actual
developers are able to give you more correct answer.

To track all query server history, you may take a look at Python
one[1] - there was implemented support for all CouchDB versions within
single server and all their differences are well described.

[1] https://code.google.com/r/kxepal-couchdb-python-featured/source/browse/couchdb/server/__init__.py?name=viewserver#303

--