From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: So, how do we get the Mac binary on the home page?
Date Sat, 09 Jun 2012 10:22:54 GMT
On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 11:40 AM, Hans J Schroeder <hs@cloudno.de> wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
>> #1 and #2 make sense, but might not be immediately obvious. They could
>> wait, its more
>> about documenting somewhere.
>
> It is exactly where to put them. What would be your choice?
> I also disagree about documentation needs for this. Apple users don't want and don't
need to know such details. It just works. :)

> The exact locations are also visible from the configuration page. Every CouchDB user
is familiar with this.

Paths to find dqtq and ibi should be documented somewhere though. So
someone that want  to delete the application can delete the data.
(data shouldn't be in the application resources) .

>> If its not hard to fix #3 and #4 we should do that first. This means
>> CouchDB.app could
>> run read-only in /Applications, which it doesn't atm.
>
> That would be nice and falls in the sandboxing category which we definitely should adopt.
> But I see no immediate need for this for the current version.

Since 1st june, OSX qpps qre required to be sandboxed. Which is ino
better for the end user. We should really adapt the current version to
have it.  Tjis isn't a show stopper, but still something usefull qnd
not so hard to implement.

> Changing is also not that easy because there are dependencies:
> The log is connected to the logfile viewer.
> The uri is connected to the shutdown scripts to do a final commit.

Well such things are already working in rcouchx. I will have a look in
the code of these new version for that.

> Would you stop publishing without these changes.

Is this a question ? :)

Anyway for the port part I still think it`s important. I think we
could have a default to 5984 and if it`s used,  use another port
automatically and notify it.

- benoit

- benoƮt