From Carlton Gibson <carlton.gib...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: I have build a CouchDB 1.2.0 Mac OS X Binary
Date Tue, 22 May 2012 06:50:44 GMT

On 22 May 2012, at 04:36, Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net> wrote:

> On May 21, 2012, at 5:07 PM, Hans J Schroeder wrote:
>
>> Nice work. I see that you have used Jan's app starter as a base. I used the CouchBase
starter as a base,
>> which I like better, because it integrates in the status menu bar.
>

> 	They both have the same heritage.  I took it over from Jan and moved it forward a bit
to get rid of some complaints that we got from people who used it and got it to fit a little
better.  Jan continued to complain when I didn't get stuff right.  :)

My thought on this when I looked at it last month was that the Couchbase branch was "more
advanced" — for a OS X UI point of view — but that Benoit's rcouch branch "just worked"
— i.e. you just run make and it pulls all the dependencies you need and builds them.

— this latter is quite important — I look at anything that says, "just compile the dependencies
you need and put them in the build folder" and think, Oh God that's an hour or two (or three)
that I haven't got right now.

— for me then, a merge strategy looks like getting Benpoit's dependency building into Hans'
fork of the Couchbase repo and labelling that the official fork.

(I'm very happy to help with the Mac end going forward.)

Regards,

Carlton