From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Post-mortem
Date Fri, 11 May 2012 05:56:16 GMT
On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 7:53 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@tumbolia.org> wrote:
> Guys,
>
> What can we learn from this:
>
> http://saucelabs.com/blog/index.php/2012/05/goodbye-couchdb/
>

> Thanks,

Note apart: I'm not even sure they did the right choice in choosing mysqL.

Anyway, Imo we need to improve some feature like M/R (having the
indexation using multiple cores), replication ,and possibilities to
monitor what happen in every part of couch.  Then come bigcouch which
could solved their case. But the way offered by bigcouch to scale over
multiple nodes should be imo an *option* among the scaling
possibilities of couchdb.

For the rest we should market couchdb on what it really does.  Some
are dreaming about big data, big central cluster blahblah. But not
everyone need that. Most companies have usable data < 2GB.

Couchdb  by itself today is really good for managing "mobile" datasets
or rather datasets that need to be moved and shared often by people
It's also good some kind of clusters that doesn't need at all a quorum
or whatever. This is the point that we should market:  Cluster Of
Unreliable Commodity Hardware.

- benoƮt