From Dave Cottlehuber <>
Subject Re: Replicated database size
Date Wed, 16 May 2012 17:36:30 GMT
On 16 May 2012 16:49, Nick North <> wrote:

> Following up on my own email, this seems to be an issue with snappy on
> Windows Server 2008. When I changed the file_compression setting to
> deflate_6, the "large" databases went down from 7GB to 1GB after
> compaction. I'm not entirely sure if this counts as a bug so I won't raise
> an issue on it.

Something's not right here. Are you able to run a couple tests on both

Copy this file to your %COUCHDB%/bin/ folder. Then run werl.exe shell (i.e.
not couch).

Erlang R15B (erts-5.9) [source] [smp:2:2] [async-threads:0]

Eshell V5.9  (abort with ^G)
1> application:load(snappy).
2> application:start(snappy).
3> c(snappy_tests).
4> snappy_tests:test().
  All 2 tests passed.

Hopefully somewhere in there it spits out a sensible error message & we can
work from there.

Also if there's a way to find what version(s) of vcredist_x86 are installed
on the
server versions vs the other ones, that might help.

By the way: kudos to whoever wrote the code to deal with file_compression.