From Dave Cottlehuber <d...@muse.net.nz>
Subject Re: Replicated database size
Date Wed, 16 May 2012 21:58:26 GMT
On 16 May 2012 20:37, Nick North <north.n@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for replying - that test does show up a problem. It works fine on my
> Win7 machine but, on Windows Server, says:
>
> Erlang R15B (erts-5.9) [source] [smp:2:2] [async-threads:0]
>
> Eshell V5.9  (abort with ^G)
> 1> application:load(snappy).
> ok
> 2> application:start(snappy).
> ok
> 3> c(snappy_tests).
> {ok,snappy_tests}
> 4> snappy_tests:test().
> snappy_tests: compression_test_...*failed*
> ::snappy_nif_not_loaded
>

> snappy_tests: decompression_test_...*failed*
> ::snappy_nif_not_loaded

>  Failed: 2.  Skipped: 0.  Passed: 0.
> error
>
> Both systems have snappy_nif.dll, in the %COUCHDB%\lib\snappy-1.0.3\priv
> directory and they look to be the same file, at least as far as can be
> determined from Windows Explorer.
>
> C++ runtime versions are fairly different. The server has 2008 x64 and x86,
> and 2010 x86. The Win7 machine has 2005 x64, 2008 x64 and x86, 2010 x64 and
> x86 and the C++ 11 Beta x64. There are various sub-versions of each, and I
> can give more details if that is useful.

I'd like to know *exactly* what the server is using for vcredist_x86.exe
(VC10 version
only). You can see this with sigcheck[1] if you have the original vcredist
to hand.

When erlang/couch is running you can use listdlls[2] or procexp[3] to peek
in and
see what runtime it has decided to use.

After all that, try installing this vcredist version[4] and seeing if that
resolves things.

There are numerous bugs in the dll load path stuff on windows, and IIRC
different
manifestations of that across OS  versions. Let's hope this is not the
issue here!

Finally, screw MS for releasing the same filename with 3 consecutive VC++
releases..
that's plain dumb. I'll reserve my vituperation for twitter.

A+
Dave

[1]: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897441<http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897441.aspx>
[2]: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896656
[3]: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653
[4]:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/6/5/165255E7-1014-4D0A-B094-B6A430A6BFFC/vcredist_x86.exe
[5]: msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms682586