From Tim McNamara <>
Subject (perceived) barriers to entry
Date Wed, 11 Apr 2012 00:46:30 GMT
After chatting with Noah S on Twitter, I offered to jot up some
thoughts on things that my reduce or eliminate perceived barriers to
entry to work on CouchDB.

Here are a few things that I've been able to think of. In the course
of researching this mail though, I've actually answered many of my own

"serious business"
A database seems like the kind of project that only extremely talented
people would touch. People depend on the code working. Getting started
would require quite a bit of confidence. Am I good enough?

"Erlang, wtf"
This is a barrier that I've been facing for a while. I'm actually in
the process of learning Erlang, trying to expand my horizons from
Python. Still, a new language makes it harder to have the required

"I still don't understand rereduce"
I'm personally not 100% clear on how queries work. This is even after
using the db for a while. I don't want to look like a stupid idiot in
front of great developers. Therefore, there's a high risk of offering
suggestions and getting told to "RTFM"

"Where are the easy bugs?"

"wow, big code base"
Is there any documentation on how to project is laid out? Stepping
into a new project is always a little daunting.

"Apache project?"
As someone outside of the ASF, I don't really know what contributing
on an Apache project means.

View raw message