From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 1.2.0 status update
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2012 08:48:58 GMT
On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 10:03 PM, Noah Slater <nslater@tumbolia.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 2:43 AM, Paul Davis <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> > Can't you feel the heat too?
>>
>> Nope. Is there a deadline I'm not aware of?
>>

> Evidently so.
>
> Were you aware that the Friday just gone was a deadline?

Nope. Though that was a bit silly of us.

> But you're missing my point. The deadline (that we agreed on via lazy
> consensus on the mailing list) was a symptom of the fire. The fire is not
> the cause. The cause is all of misfortune the project has had recently. The
> need to show the world that we are still alive and kicking, before it is
> too late. The need to demonstrate that we're an active project that doesn't
> get bogged down through process, and people disagreeing with each other. Do
> not under-estimate the impact of Mikeal's posts on the community at large.
> While I understand, and appreciate, the debates that have gone in to fixing
> the 1.2.0 issues, I feel like we could've moved faster as a team, and
> worked with more co-ordination. The outward possible perception is
> particularly unfortunate, given the context.
>
> So yes. I feel a fire. That fire is my passion for CouchDB. And I know that
> now more than ever, we, as a community need to pitch in together, pull our
> finger out, ship a great product, and start making the sort of inroads that
> will take us to the next level. It's tough, and there's a lot of
> ingrained behavioural stuff, and attitude stuff, that needs massaging. But
> I am happy that you seem to understand where my motivation is coming from,
> and are willing to overlook some rather hasty (frustrated) emails.

I do understand your passion and I'm glad to have you as part of the
community. My peevishness here is that we're being more reactive
rather than proactive in our approach to addressing the issues at
hand. For instance, what takes us so long to release? Mostly the fact
that master/trunk/maintenance-branches are never in a consistent state
ready for release. If you really want to get super serious in showing
the world the awesomeness then come join me in a stand for being a
better software project (engineering wise. I personally think our
community is best by lots).

This starts with simple things:

1. Tests that fail randomly are disabled until they don't.
2. Tests that run in the browser should be deleted because browsers
are confounding and confounding is the enemy and this should be
obvious to anyone everywhere and I've been saying this for years.
3. Documentation should be top notch and as such is a first class
citizen which means all commits that change bevhaviour must have a
corresponding update to documentation.
4. Make a commitment to having a clean internal code base that we can
change quickly under pressure.
5. Update our JIRA SOPs so that shit that needs fixed is obvious and
shit that can be improved is not mistaken for shit that must be fixed.
6. More tests. Patches that show bugs should be accepted without fixes
and become blockers until fixed.
7. Fix our fucking website to not suck balls (yes, already in motion
if we accept that a body in motion remains in motion until acted upon
by an outside round house kick to the face).
8. Other shit that we don't do.

But above all else, lets be true to us. This project has prided itself
on correctness above all else since I've been involved. Many times
we've resisted the attempt to change that priority because someone
said something or some other project had better "benchmarks". I agree
that we should focus on improving our outward appearance, but I also
think we should never ever lose sight of that core principle, "Your
data is safe with us." So, with all due respect to the Zen of Python,
I can't resist the Zen of CouchDB:

1. Relax
2. Everyone is welcome
3. Your data is safe with us
4. Its simpler than you think
5. Fast is good
6. But safe and correct are best
7. Advanced uses should be supported
8. But not at the expense of core simplicity
9. Always respect existing standards
10. Unless those standards are absurd

Or something.

So in closing, I know your fever, but chill, Winston. They know its us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idO3VjT8sjk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7kme3GC9Gs