From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject modular or monolithic: how do you envision Apache CouchDB?
Date Sun, 05 Feb 2012 05:33:49 GMT
Hi,

Last day we had a quick discussion on IRC about splitting code in
different apps or not. I wasn't totally crystal clear about my position
and I would like to clarify it a little. Imo everything turn around the
question , "how do you envision Apache CouchDB".

It appears for me that some wants to distribute it as a full product,
everything is embedded in one archive. In that case the distributiuon
system is only targeting this goal and nothing in the core allows
alternatives.

While I'm agree we should offer a "canonical" release of Apache CouchDB,
I'm thinking more Apache CouchDB as a collections of modules with a
core. For example CouchDB could be:

a k/v server that can live on one or more machine : the core
with an HTTP api
with a M/R api also accessible with HTT
with a _changes API
with a replicaton API
with a couchapp engine
with javascript support

So anyone can eventually replace, remove or add a module in its own
couchdb distribution. The release system could also be enough smart to
allws a distributor to customize its own couchdb.

What do you think about it? How do you envision CouchDB ?

- benoƮr