From Jens Rantil <jens.ran...@telavox.se>
Subject SV: backport of couchdb
Date Fri, 03 Feb 2012 10:42:12 GMT
Hi again everyone,

I am happy to get a discussion going about this. I'd say Debian is a major platform for servers.
Therefor, I believe CouchDB should exist there - with a reasonable modern version. Sure, you
can install from source. However, with CouchDB and it's replication features it should be
easy to roll it out to a multitude of Debian servers and kick off replication.

Also, previously Couchbase was hosting a (sadly, buggy) Debian package. After the death of
the Couchbase package[1] there is no modern Debian package alternative anymore.

To keep this discussion going - what did you think of Jan's proposal to set up a Debian maintainer
mailing list? As of the initial question, shall Debian stable installations be living with
0.11 for another ~6 months? I guess so.

/J

-----Ursprungligt meddelande-----
Från: Jan Lehnardt [mailto:jan@apache.org]
Skickat: den 31 januari 2012 21:42
Till: dev@couchdb.apache.org
Kopia: Laszlo Boszormenyi
Ämne: Re: backport of couchdb

Hi Laszlo,

On Jan 31, 2012, at 21:24 , Laszlo Boszormenyi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> First, I'm an official DD and the maintainer of CouchDB.

Pleased to meet you and thanks for weighing in on this discussion :)

>> As for the back porting, Debian doesn't directly manage any packages.
>> Everything has a package maintainer who may or may not be part of the
>> Debian staff, so it really does land on the maintainer. And I don't
>> see how you could back port fixes from, say, 1.x.x to 0.x.x.
> Let me ask an other way. Is CouchDB expected to change a lot
> internally?

I think it is. The question, I think, is how much end-users will be affected by these changes
(upgrade trouble, incompatibilities etc.) We are doing our best to not break BC (according
to semver.org) and make upgrades seamless and well documented.

> What about helping downstream with security fixes?

where downstream folks can subscribe and get notified about impeding releases as well as security
notices. Would that be a good first step?
What else could we do to help you downstream?

> When CouchDB 1.2.0 is expected to be released?

We are expecting to call a vote in the next few days (pending release manager time). As per
our process, it'll take 4-5 days after the initial call for voting to get the release out
(if the votes don't go through and if issues are found, this process is reset).

Let us know if you have any other questions and thanks again for helping out!

Cheers
Jan