From "Kevin R. Coombes" <kevin.r.coom...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Unique instance IDs?
Date Thu, 02 Feb 2012 14:41:27 GMT
For CouchDB, I think UUIDs are clearly the way to go.  After all, given
the UUID, database,  and hostname, you can construct the desired URL
directly by forming
     http://hostname:5984/database/UUID
As Noah points out, if you used this entire URL as the identifier (by
which I assume he means the _id field), then you would lose the ability
to copy the document elsewhere.  This would, of course, break
replication completely.

Keeping the UUIDs as they are gives the best of both worlds.  Easy
replication, and (as long as the database is hosted at the same place)
an easy way for humans and programs to construct stable URIs or URLs
that point to each document.

     -- Kevin