From Dave Cottlehuber <d...@muse.net.nz>
Subject Re: Binary Downloads
Date Fri, 04 Nov 2011 22:00:30 GMT
> On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 5:26 AM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:
>> Randall, Till,
>>
>> I had hoped I addressed this in my original mail, but let me try again :)
>>
>> I'm in favour of all the things your are saying, but I'm trying to address this scenario:
>>
>> $ wget $url
>> $ tar xzf $archive
>> $ ./$dir/couchdb
>>  Time to relax.

Jan, I'm +1 also on this. I can provide this for the windows world
quite easily now. If there's a windows-based apache build bot I would
be keen to work on automating this.

What actually is required for an "official binary"? Wear a special hat
while building - e.g. not an couchbase/cloudant/iris hat? Use only
what's in the ASF repo? Be a committer while doing it?

On 4 November 2011 02:21, Jason Smith <jhs@iriscouch.com> wrote:
> Love it. FWIW, here are some thoughts from Build CouchDB feedback.
>
> Basically, I suggest clearly identifying every non-goal early. It will
> help to assess exactly what people want.

Yes - I've had just 2 responses back in a year on whether people would
like something different in the windows build. Oh, and over 1000
downloads each month.

Ryan's comparison with mongo is an apt one, they have a
straightforward landing page and wiki-type docs. I'll re-raise the doc
thread separately in the hope of provoking enough action to make a
start this weekend @ couchhack.

A+
Dave