From Dustin Sallings <dus...@spy.net>
Subject Re: Binary Downloads
Date Thu, 03 Nov 2011 23:11:47 GMT

On Nov 3, 2011, at 3:11 PM, Randall Leeds wrote:

> Meebo runs CentOS/Scientific Linux and I've played with the RPM
> packaging for that quite a bit, though I tend to be less up to date on
> that since upgrading is a big production, whereas on my desktop I tend
> to keep more up to date. Happy to help out with that conversation,
> too, though.

	Someone showed me an ruby gem called "fpm" which has made things so much better for anyone
doing anything with packaging here.

	https://github.com/jordansissel/fpm

	Basically, if the thing has a fairly standard "make install" type target (preferably autoconf
+ configure --prefix), then it will build you a .deb, .rpm, etc... with the dependency lists
and everything else you need with roughly the same command.

--
dustin sallings