From CGS <cgsmcml...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Binary Downloads
Date Thu, 03 Nov 2011 15:42:27 GMT
Hi, Jan,

I was thinking lately to join my efforts with the developers community,
but I didn't know from where to start (now, I know). I plan for the
beginning of the next year to buy some hardware on which I will have
different OS's (as my projects require them), so, I will be able to help
you building binaries on the most used platforms (MS Windows, Ubuntu,
Fedora and CentOS for the beginning). That, of course, if you will need
an extra-hand at that time. As for my part, I will do that with or
without making those binaries official because my employer likes CouchDB
and requires it for different projects.

For the moment, I have access to Ubuntu/Linario (gcc 4.5.2, i686),
CentOS 6.0 (gcc 4.4.4, x86_64) and an ancient MS Windows XP
Professional. If I can help you now, just let me know. If yes, I will
need to know for which versions of Erlang/OTP, SpiderMonkey, OpenSSL and
so on would you like me to make the binaries. Also, I will need to know
if to compile them in the standard way (using root privileges) or for a
dedicated user only.

I can also make packages which are platform quasi-independent ("quasi"
because one cannot create a package for all the platforms). Meaning,
isolating and packing all the dependencies reported by ldd and creating
a nutshell to run them. I used this technique to run my simulations on
GRID during my academic period (2-3 years ago). But such packages are
huge. Nevertheless, they can serve the users with not-so-known platforms
and less or no knowledge about system administration.

Best regards,
CGS