From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB 1.1.1
Date Thu, 06 Oct 2011 08:25:46 GMT
On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 3:23 AM, Robert Newson <rnewson@apache.org> wrote:
> All,
>
> Paul Davis has researched the issue and it seems intractable.
>
> I would like to remove 1.8.5 support from 1.1.1. It was not present in
> 1.1.0 so will not be (officially) missed.
>
> The place for a breaking change of this magnitude is 1.2, not a minor
> bug fix release.
>
> Thoughts?
> B.

+1 on removing the paren hack for sure.

Not sure about removing 1.8.5 support completely. On the one hand, it
would prevent breakage because people couldn't link against the
breaking SM. On the other hand, it prevents people from linking
against 1.8.5 which means it won't build on Ubuntu 11.x.

Unless someone comes up with a magic option I'd say put it to an
informal vote so that I can blame someone else.