From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Universal Binary JSON in CouchDB
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2011 04:24:52 GMT
On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 1:34 AM, Paul Davis <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 3:08 PM, Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 9:33 PM, Paul Davis <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> For a first step I'd prefer to see a patch that makes the HTTP
>>> what that looks like and how/if it changes performance then *maybe* we
>>> can start talking about on disk formats. Changing how we store things
>>> on disk is a fairly high impact change that we'll need to consider
>>> carefully.
>>
>> +1
>>>
>>> That said, the ubjson spec is starting to look reasonable and capable
>>> to be an alternative content-type produced by CouchDB. If someone were
>>> to write a patch I'd review it quite enthusiastically.
>>>

>> I think I would prefer to use protobuffs format though. Anyway if wwe
>> change the api to handle all types that would be pluggable without
>> problem.
>>
>> - benoît
>>

> I think you nailed it Benoit. First step, see if we can remove the
> JSON specific stuff (we build JSON strings by hand in some places)
> with an eye on keeping it generic. Then we can start thinking about
> how to make it reasonable for pluggin any type of encoder/decoder
> pair.

totally :) mea culpa.

Anyway I think that in order I would prefer to work on a more flexible
TCP/HTTP layer that would allows us to provide correct HTTP response
and handle other types (with accept headers). I'm looking more and
more in cowboy for that. The second part, accepting format would work
I think if we can provide a way to standardize the way we save docs
and such on the disk. For example we could reuse our object
representation. {[]} etc, sound like it would be feasible. Then we
wouldn't have to change the representation on the disk, neither the
disk format But right, step by step.

- benoît