From Jason Smith <...@iriscouch.com>
Subject Re: Futon Test Suite
Date Fri, 12 Aug 2011 01:37:09 GMT
On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 11:46 PM, Paul Davis
<paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com> wrote:
> Your points are definitely well taken, and these are the sorts of
> things we should be engineering for and around. But I'll bring the arc
> back to CouchDB. Our test suite has the specific purpose of asserting
> that CouchDB behaves the way we want. Intermediaries only serve to
> confound the results of these tests, "Did CouchDB fail? Or is it
> something in the middle?" which doesn't do anyone any good.

Quite right. The more I think about it, the more I shift back to a
point I've made often: CouchDB doesn't need core features, it really
needs tooling and development tools built on top of it (relatively
speaking).

So, for example, I'd want a pedantic, fussy, standards-compliant,
reliable foundation (the couch), and then more advanced application
frameworks doing the dirty work like detecting transport trouble,
detecting overzealous caching, etc. No doubt, that is what Google,
Facebook, and other huge sites are doing. (Although they have largely
migrated to https on CDNs to improve consistency among other
benefits.)

I suppose this discussion and the work related to it is going in
exactly this direction, so, yay! Thanks for the feedback, Paul.

--
Iris Couch