From Filipe David Manana <>
Subject Re: Futon Test Suite
Date Wed, 10 Aug 2011 01:11:53 GMT
On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 11:43 PM, Paul Davis <> wrote:
> The entire test suite takes about 4 minutes to run on a semi recent
> MBA. Most of the tests are fairly speedy, but four of them stick out
> quite drastically:
> delayed_commits: 15s
> design_docs: 25s
> replication: 90s
> replcaitor_db: 60s

The replication.js test grew a lot after the new replicator was
introduced. Basically it covers a lot more scenarios then the old
replication.js test, and tests with larger amounts of documents and
continuous replications.
I think this is a good thing and inevitable (due to bug fixes, new
features, etc).

The replicator_db.js does several server restart calls, which are
necessary to test this feature.

After Jan's patch to add a "verify installation" feature to Futon, I
don't think individual tests taking 1, 2 or 5 minutes are an issue, as
long as they succeed.
For a database management system, having much more comprehensive tests
(which mean that they take longer to run) is a good thing.

I agree with everything said in this thread.

> I haven't dug into these too much yet. The only thing I've noticed is
> that replication and relplicator_db seem to spend a lot of their time
> polling various URLs waiting for task completion. Perhaps I'm just
> being impatient but it seems that each poll lasts an uncessarily long
> time for a unit tests (3-5s) so I was wondering if we were hitting a
> timeout or something.
> If anyone wants to dig into the test suite and see if they can't speed
> these up or even just split them apart so we know what's taking awhile
> that'd be super awesome.
> Also, I've been thinking more and more about beefing up the JavaScript
> test suite runner and moving more of our browser tests over to
> dedicated code in those tests. If anyone's interested in hacking on
> some C and JavaScript against an HTTP API, let me know.

Filipe David Manana,,