From Filipe David Manana <fdman...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Futon Test Suite
Date Wed, 10 Aug 2011 01:11:53 GMT
On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 11:43 PM, Paul Davis <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com> wrote:
> The entire test suite takes about 4 minutes to run on a semi recent
> MBA. Most of the tests are fairly speedy, but four of them stick out
> quite drastically:
>
> delayed_commits: 15s
> design_docs: 25s
> replication: 90s
> replcaitor_db: 60s

The replication.js test grew a lot after the new replicator was
introduced. Basically it covers a lot more scenarios then the old
replication.js test, and tests with larger amounts of documents and
continuous replications.
I think this is a good thing and inevitable (due to bug fixes, new
features, etc).

The replicator_db.js does several server restart calls, which are
necessary to test this feature.

After Jan's patch to add a "verify installation" feature to Futon, I
don't think individual tests taking 1, 2 or 5 minutes are an issue, as
long as they succeed.
For a database management system, having much more comprehensive tests
(which mean that they take longer to run) is a good thing.

I agree with everything said in this thread.

--
Filipe David Manana,
fdmanana@gmail.com, fdmanana@apache.org