From Norman Maurer <norman.mau...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [ACTION REQUIRED] www.apache.org/dist/<tlp> housekeeping
Date Sat, 04 Jun 2011 16:07:49 GMT
Am Samstag, 4. Juni 2011 schrieb Greg Stein <gstein@gmail.com>:

> On Jun 4, 2011 5:17 AM, "Noah Slater" <nslater@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> CCing dev@ again, as some non-PMC members will be interested.
>>
>> On 4 Jun 2011, at 10:06, Gavin McDonald wrote:
>>
>> > You have 0.11.0, 0.11.1 and 0.11.2 all of the same release line, you only
>> > need 0.11.2 with the
>> > other two older releases being available in the archives area should anyone
>> > want those.
>>
>> We have historically kept these releases on the downloads page so that people have
a migration path from the original point release through to the most recent bugfix release,
should that be needed. (This also helps people understand what has been fixed/changed since
the original point release.) As far as I understand, we cannot continue to advertise these
on our downloads page if they are archived, because we would not be able to make use of the
Apache mirrors.

> Couldn't you talk about them on your web page, but have the link say "but please use
$CURRENT instead"? And maybe later in the page have a link to archive "for non-current releases,
see here".

> Would something like that work?
> (The main goal here is to reduce the load on our mirror volunteers)
> Cheers,
> -g

Thats what camel does at least and it seems to w ork out so far;)

bye
norman