From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Archiving old releases
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2011 15:58:33 GMT

On 6 Jun 2011, at 16:32, Paul Davis wrote:

> To reiterate some points. Tony Stevenson tells me the infrastructure
> policy is, "We expect PMcs to only keep 1 copy of each branch/major
> version, anything else should be archived."

Where did he tell you this? Is it on a mailing list somewhere? My concern here is that the
official Apache policy is actually decidedly vague on the matter. Which I have always interpreted
as being quite intentional, so that projects can decide for themselves what the policy should
be.

> I have been instructed to
> specifically remove 0.11.0, 0.11.1, and 1.0.1 from the dist directory
> under threat of cattle prod and apparently cuddle kitties.

Again, where?

This stuff should be happening on the mailing lists.

I agree that this makes sense, but I have been concerned for a while that in doing so, there
maybe be certain circumstances where some technical detail means that not providing a smooth
bugfix upgrade path may cause problems. That was one of the primary things I was hoping to
clarify by starting this discussion.

Anyone see a problem with this?

> As to what's listed in downloads.html I'll leave that to the bike
> shedding except to point out there's no policy I know of that prevents
> us from linking to the archived versions.

These two things are the same. The policy is that the downloads.html page must link through
to the mirrors, to reduce the load on the Apache servers. So whatever we remove from the dist
directory needs to be removed from this page.