From Dave Cottlehuber <d...@muse.net.nz>
Subject Re: Supported versions?
Date Tue, 01 Feb 2011 15:03:33 GMT
>> On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 21:50, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:
>>> IMHO, the general rule is supporting the current and previous release. We have
referred to that rule in the past. I'm not sure that is written down anywhere though. I think
this is a good policy either way.

Overall I agree (is this a+0.7 ?) but people need to be given time to
upgrade between versions. Some projects and commercial vendors provide
support for a 6 month rolling window to enable this. From a sysadmin
point of view this would be preferable.

>>> We planned to have 1.0.2 and 1.1.0 come out at roughly the same time. As a result,
I didn't bother backporting the required patches to the 0.11.x line, effectively ending support.
Now 1.0.2 is out and 1.1.0 isn't just yet (I hope soon though) so we effectively broke the
rule. I'll look into backporting the required patches to 0.11.x so people can at least do
manual fixes.

>>> Does that sound like a sensible scenario?
>>
>> Sounds good to me (in particular the policy).
>
> Me too.

Yup - solves the issue above neatly.

A+
Dave