From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Source tree refactoring - TESTERS NEEDED
Date Sun, 26 Dec 2010 03:37:55 GMT
On Saturday, December 4, 2010, Paul Davis <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com> wrote:
> Heya,
>
> I've just finished getting the refactoring of the source tree to be
> more compliant with OTP source code layout. This is a pretty big move
> so I'd like at least a couple other people to test this. If you have a
> platform that is not OS X or Ubuntu, consider this an extra special
> request so that we have confidence that I haven't broken one of the
> uncommon platforms.
>
> The repo for the scripts and patches are at [1]. You should be able to
> get a fully refactored couch with:
>
>     $ git clone git://github.com/davisp/couchdb-srcmv.git
>     $ cd couchdb-srcmv
>     $ ./srcmv.py
>
> Once you have that, there's a couchdb.git subdirectory that is a
> checkout of the entire source tree. Once there, you can build and test
> couchdb as per normal. Also, I would appreciate anyone that goes the
> extra effort and runs the install into a tmp location and runs the
> Futon tests on the installed version to make sure everything still
> passes.
>
> Ideally I'd like to get this into trunk fairly shortly so that it has
> as long as possible to sit in trunk before we cut 1.2.x. Let me know
> if there are any comments or complaints on it.
>
> Paul Davis
>
> [1] https://github.com/davisp/couchdb-srcmv

After thinking about it, I don't see the point of having a script to
maintain patches, + patches coming with. It make review hard compared
to having a branch dedicated to this refactoring. Also it stops
somehow any external work of yours hard (eg. can't go further without
waiting your updates). Can't we just open a branch on svn and start to
work on it. Which would also allow us to wait for fdmanana merge of
new replicator

Related notes from my experiences and reads of the night:

There are other needed changes imo:

-  removing call go http layer in core ( for example in attachments),
- having a CouchDB app that reconciliate. core (b-tree, changes, db
api) and other members. Such things.

I would be happy to work and the work in srcmv is already 70-80% of
what we ant. So is there any possibility to have a branch?