From Adam Kocoloski <kocol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CouchDB OTP
Date Thu, 04 Nov 2010 11:40:35 GMT
On Nov 3, 2010, at 11:53 PM, Noah Slater wrote:

>> 7. Removing dependencies from the source tree is not going to happen
>> any time soon. I wish we didn't have to vendor so many projects, but
>> we have to remember that a majority of people building CouchDB are not
>> Erlangians. Forcing our community to install a number of Erlang
>> dependencies to build CouchDB would be a very large hurdle to
>> navigate. I know that there are projects like faxien and rebar's git
>> support to overcome this, but I don't feel that there is a solution
>> that sufficiently addresses this issue.
>
> And doing it at build time breaks a really fundamental rule of build systems.
>
> Never assume a network connection

Can we remove the dependencies from the repository but include them in all release tarballs?
 For example, in a rebar world we would call 'get-deps' in the course of building a release
tarball.  Throwing away the commit history of our upstream dependencies makes regression-hunting
more difficult than it needs to be.

Adam