From Paul Davis <>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1001283 - in /couchdb/trunk/etc/couchdb:
Date Sun, 03 Oct 2010 16:59:26 GMT
On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 10:17 AM, Benoit Chesneau <> wrote:
> On Sunday, October 3, 2010, Noah Slater <> wrote:
>> On 3 Oct 2010, at 00:20, Benoit Chesneau wrote:
>>> Let me try again. I know I can set the /var/run directory. That's not
>>> what I want.  I want to be able to set separately this path. I don't
>>> see any reason against it. Why not having this possibility ?
>> Same reason we don't let configure set the location of any other specific file. You
can set it from the INI configuration. I don't understand the use case that makes this advantageous.
> I want to be abble to provide good defaults in packages I distribute.
> Distributing!= Configuring, not the same persons, not the sale
> business.I don't think my usecase is so isolated. Think for example
> about people embedding their couchdb but still want to set this path
> in a common place, without allowing configuration. With current way i
> can't do it without previously patch the ini file. for me this path is
> like setting a socket path. This is setting something that could be
> use by external applications. So something that need in my opinion
> some grunlarity in packaging.
> Now rather than discussing , I think we need a vote on this.
> -benoit

I think what Noah is saying is that ./configure doesn't have the
ability to set *any* paths, so what makes this particular file more
special than every other path specified in the ini files? I'd have to
agree with Noah that I don't see a reason to make this particular file
path specifiable at ./configure time. I think you can still provide
good defaults by distributing packages with modified configuration

Paul Davis

View raw message