From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: New Externals: Implemented with tests
Date Mon, 04 Oct 2010 15:49:40 GMT
On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 5:59 PM, Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 3:18 AM, Paul Davis <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Most odd. Individual tests are run in independent processes so the
>> scope of interaction should be confined to a single *.t file. 170 is
>> pretty tiny in what it does. Once it gets to test 19, the remaining
>> tests are all asserts on a record. Let me know if you find anything
>> else.
>>
>> Paul
>>
>> On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 8:30 PM, Randall Leeds <randall.leeds@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Make check hangs at 19/? in 170-os-daemons.t for me. Running it
>>> individually worked.
>>> Could be some conflict with an early test? Seems strange. No time to
>>> investigate now.
>>>
>>> Thanks for this awesome work, Paul.
>>>
>>> -Randall

to make sure

> Heh looks like my old proxy handler. Really like the idea. Reading the
> code I see you're not rewriting the Location header  when you send the
> response neither cleaning the Host header is there any reason of this
> ? I saw lot of problem due to this especially with javascript code. I
> may have a patch for that.
>
> About removing _externals, I'm not sure. Maybe keeping old one
> available or better if possible reusing your new os process handling .
> One thing I like with using io is that you don't need http semantic
> parsing, just a json parser which ease some codes. I can do a script
> in sh . Also less latency sometimes.
>
> make check is ok on my mac. I will do more test during the day.
>
> - benoît

I'm not going to delete the current _externals implementation right
away. I would plan on keeping it for at least one minor release to
make sure that people have time to test and switch to the new
protocol. For people that have a good reason to keep using the stdio
protocol I plan on writing a shim that mimics the current API as close
as possible so that we don't lose any functionality.

I'm not entirely sure about rewriting headers. For the most part I
wanted to make sure that I wasn't modifying headers in anyway. If
there's a specific set of headers that need to be handled then we can
take a look at adding that in.

HTH,
Paul Davis