From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Addition of modify-on-document-write hooks
Date Mon, 20 Sep 2010 05:28:41 GMT
On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 12:34 AM, Randall Leeds <randall.leeds@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 12:19, James Jackson <james.jackson@cern.ch> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Moving this from the users forum, as it appears what I'm after isn't currently available.
For the security model I with to implement in a production CouchDB cluster, I would like to
be able to force a field to be written to all docs based on the user context. The _update
functionality is not what I am after as it requires the user to actually call it when writing
a document (means security could be got-around by not calling this, and setting the required
field in the passed document to something arbitrary, which would then not get caught by a
validation function), and can't modify a document which is passed to it (as far as I can tell
it can only modify existing documents, or create new ones).

> Is the rewrite handler powerful enough to force normal PUT operations
> to go through an _update function? Would this break replication? Just
> a quick, off-the-cuff thought.

A _rewrite rule can have a `method` property. So you can redirect
differently based on the request method (GET, POST, PUT, ...). So yes,
it's eventually possible to mimic the CouchDB api behind a _rewrite/ .

- benoit