From J Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: multiview on github
Date Fri, 06 Aug 2010 00:26:03 GMT

On Aug 5, 2010, at 4:32 PM, Jan Lehnardt wrote:

> Hi Norman,
>
> I still plan to look at your code, I know the others here
> are fairly busy too, sorry for the review delay :)

The code looks clean (but could use better comments about where in the flow each module comes
into play). I don't think we can guess about performance, instead we should benchmark to make
sure the ring approach is right.

In CouchDB currently, it is possible to isolate requests against a single db. So you use the
security settings to prevent access to databases, etc. For this, using the userCtx and switching
away from couch_db:open_int() would make a big difference.

This way people can query across dbs if they have read access to all of them.

I think if you package this as a CouchDB fork on Github and add a few JavaScript tests, it
will be really useful for some folks. I like that it has geo support. Maybe we can target
it for inclusion in trunk just after GeoCouch goes in trunk (if Volker wants to put it in.)

Also, for realtime hacking on this, you might find that the #couchdb IRC channel on Freenode
is a good place to solicit feedback. There are a lot of people on there doing Geo things that
would benefit from this. (They really wanna be able to intersect a Geo query with a Map Reduce
query, etc.)

Chris

> Cheers
> Jan
> --
>

> On 5 Aug 2010, at 18:12, Norman Barker wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> is there any interest in the multiview, I have fixed (3) below, but am
>> still interested in approaches for (1) and (2).
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> Norman
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 3:39 PM, Norman Barker <norman.barker@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> a very initial version of the multiview is at
>>> http://github.com/normanb/couchdb-multiview for discussion.
>>>
>>> The views are intersected by using a ring of processes where each node
>>> in the ring represents a view as follows;
>>>
>>> % send an id from the start list to the next node in the ring, if the
>>> id is in adjacent node then this node sends to the next ring node ....
>>> % if the id gets all round the ring and back to the start node then it
>>> has intersected all queries and should be included. The nodes in the
>>> ring
>>> % should be sorted in size from small to large for this to be effective
>>> %
>>> % In addition send the initial id list round in parallel
>>>
>>> this is implemented in the couch_query_ring module.
>>>
>>> I have a couple of questions
>>>
>>> 1) in the module multiview, is there a quicker way to find the counts
>>> from startkey to endkey rather than iterating?