From Robert Dionne <dio...@dionne-associates.com>
Subject Re: multiview on github
Date Mon, 23 Aug 2010 11:05:10 GMT
Hi Norman,

  I took a peek at multiview. I haven't followed this too closely on the mailing list but
this is *view intersection*? Is there a 5 line summary of what this does somewhere?

  I'm curious as to why the daemon needs to be a supervisor, most if not all of the other
daemons are gen_servers. OTP allows this but I think this is a good area where some CouchDB
guidelines on plugins would apply.

  It strikes me that views, the use of map/reduce, etc. are one of the trickier aspects of
using CouchDB, particularly for new users coming from the SQL world. People are also reporting
issues with performance of views, I guess often because reduce functions go out of control.

  I think the project would be better served if features like this were available as plugins.
I would put GeoCouch in the same category. Its very neat and timely (given everyone wants
to know where everyone else is using their telephone but without talking other than asynchronously),
but a server plugin architecture that would allow this to be done cleanly should come first.

  This is just my opinion. I'd love to see some of the project founders and committers weigh
in on this and set some direction.

Best regards,

Bob

On Aug 22, 2010, at 5:45 PM, Norman Barker wrote:

> I would like to take this multiview code and have it added to trunk if
> possible, what are the next steps?
>
> thanks,
>
> Norman
>
> On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 11:44 AM, Norman Barker <norman.barker@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have made
>>
>> http://github.com/normanb/couchdb
>>
>> which is a fork of the latest couchdb trunk with the multiview code
>> and tests added.
>>
>> If geocouch is available then it can still be used.
>>
>> There are a couple of questions about the multiview on the user /dev
>> list so I will be adding some more test cases during today.
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> Norman
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 9:23 PM, Norman Barker <norman.barker@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> this is possible, I forked geocouch since I use it, but I have already
>>> separated the geocouch dependencies from the trunk.
>>>
>>> I can do this tomorrow, certainly be interested in any feedback.
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>>
>>> Norman

And