From Robert Newson <robert.new...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: multiview on github
Date Mon, 30 Aug 2010 16:49:04 GMT
I'm sorry, I've had no time to play with this at scale.

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 5:35 PM, Norman Barker <norman.barker@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> are there any more comments on this, if not can you describe the
> process (in particular how to obtain a wiki and jira account for
> couchdb which I have been unable to do) and I will start documenting
> this so we can put this into the trunk.
>
> Bob, were you able to do any more testing with large views, are there
> any suggestions on how to speed up the document id inclusion test as
> described below?
>
> thanks,
>
> Norman
>
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 9:22 AM, Norman Barker <norman.barker@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Bob,
>>
>> thanks for the feedback and for taking a look at the code. Guidelines
>> on when to use a supervisor within couchdb with a gen_server would be
>> appreciated, currently I have a supervisor and a gen_server, but if
>> couchdb has a supervision process I could remove that layer.
>>
>> I think plugins is a great idea, however intersection of views is such
>> as common request, perhaps there needs to plugin system and if a
>> plugin is rated enough it goes into trunk as a core feature.
>>
>> the four (or slightly more) summary is here
>>
>> http://github.com/normanb/couchdb/raw/trunk/src/couchdb/couch_query_ring.erl
>>
>> %
>> % send an id from the start list to the next node in the ring, if the
>> id is in adjacent node then the this node sends to the next ring node
>> % if the id gets all round the ring and back to the start node then is
>> has intersected all queries and should be included. The nodes in the
>> ring
>> % should be sorted in size from small to large for this to be effective
>> %
>> % In addition send the initial id list round in parallel
>>
>> it really needs some eyes from the core couchdb coders to see how to
>> speed up the inclusion testing, looping is bad even if it is done in
>> parallel.
>>
>> Multiview is usable, I am using it with some pretty big mega-views (as
>> per the raindrop) model, I am also available to add features to this
>> as this is core part of our work and we want to give it to couch as a
>> contribution.
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> Norman
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 5:05 AM, Robert Dionne
>> <dionne@dionne-associates.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Norman,
>>>
>>>  I took a peek at multiview. I haven't followed this too closely on the mailing
list but this is *view intersection*? Is there a 5 line summary of what this does somewhere?

>>>  I'm curious as to why the daemon needs to be a supervisor, most if not all
of the other daemons are gen_servers. OTP allows this but I think this is a good area where
some CouchDB guidelines on plugins would apply.

>>>  It strikes me that views, the use of map/reduce, etc. are one of the trickier
aspects of using CouchDB, particularly for new users coming from the SQL world. People are
also reporting issues with performance of views, I guess often because reduce functions go
out of control.

>>>  I think the project would be better served if features like this were available
as plugins. I would put GeoCouch in the same category. Its very neat and timely (given everyone
wants to know where everyone else is using their telephone but without talking other than
asynchronously), but a server plugin architecture that would allow this to be done cleanly
should come first.

>>>  This is just my opinion. I'd love to see some of the project founders and committers
weigh in on this and set some direction.

>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> Bob

GeoCouch? And