From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: RFC: Releasing 1.0.1
Date Tue, 03 Aug 2010 23:50:15 GMT

On 4 Aug 2010, at 00:30, J Chris Anderson wrote:

> Generally, we are now in the pink part of the chart. Ubuntu would be happiest if we gave
them releases in the yellow part of the chart. The closer it gets to the red part of the chart,
the more likely they are to say it's not worth the trouble to do the work to vet / package
1.0.1. The vagueness of their schedule is part of the reason I'm suddenly feeling the rush.

I'd like to see a bit more involvement from them then.

If Ubuntu wanted to ship a copy of CouchDB taken from trunk, that had not been released yet,
they could do that pretty easily. If it was that important to them, that would certainly be
an option. If it is important to Ubuntu to get a specific official version of CouchDB packaged,
then they need to tell us what, and by what dates it is important. If, on the other hand,
it is not important to them, then it is surely not important to us either?

Either way, if Ubuntu is to be a consideration, I think we need more involvement from the
Ubuntu developers. I'm not planning to delay the release any more than it is usually delayed
due to procedure, but I'm not going to have a hernia trying to rush it out because of some
vague idea about Ubuntu needing something soon. If down-stream groups need release co-ordination,
they need to get actively involved in that.