From Noah Slater <nsla...@apache.org>
Subject Re: data recovery tool progress
Date Thu, 12 Aug 2010 17:50:59 GMT
The last thing we need is a data recovery tool that trashes data.

It's REALLY important we get this right!

/me cheers from the sidelines ;)

On 12 Aug 2010, at 18:47, Robert Dionne wrote:

> I download Jason's escripts, ran the make, and tested against the 1.0.0 release, created
a few bad dbs and also tested against a couple of good ones. It all looked good on OS X.

> The final solution ended up to be only ~118 lines of code, which I spent a couple of
hours looking over, to check as well as to refresh my memory of couchdb internals. There's
several dead functions in the file I'd recommend removing, or commenting out, as some users
may want to read the code.

> It's probably already been done by all the committers, as well as others, and I suspect
a few have it burnt into their brain's ram by now, but I'd also suggest as many people as
possible who know the internals take a hard look at those 118 lines. You know, eyeballs, bla...

> On Aug 12, 2010, at 1:18 PM, J Chris Anderson wrote:
>

>> On Aug 11, 2010, at 2:14 PM, Jason Smith wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, Jason.

>>> I think you mean http://github.com/jhs/recover-couchdb
>>>

>> I think it is important that we package and release this, if it is ready. We should
link to it from the bug description page, the project home page, as well as blog about it,
etc. What is the point of working feverishly on a recovery tool if we don't go the last mile?

>> I am testing it now on my database directory to make sure it doesn't harm anything
(I was never subject to the bug, which is probably where most people are, but they might run
it anyway.)

>> As it stands the submodules thing can't be part of the release, we need to package
it up as a single zip file or something.