From Robert Dionne <dio...@dionne-associates.com>
Subject Re: Data loss
Date Sun, 08 Aug 2010 19:21:19 GMT
I would also consider removing the download link for 1.0.0 and not depend on users patching
it. It's broken.

I have to believe there are users who won't and who won't read the red sign. There's a good
probability these are the kinds of users who will also be the most upset by data loss

On Aug 8, 2010, at 3:06 PM, Jan Lehnardt wrote:

> On 8 Aug 2010, at 18:37, J Chris Anderson wrote:
>
>> Devs,
>>
>> I have started a document which we will use when announcing the bug. I plan to move
the document from this wiki location to the http://couchdb.apache.org site before the end
of the day. Please review and edit the document before then.

>> http://wiki.couchone.com/page/post-mortem
>>
>> I have a section called "The Bug" which needs a technical description of the error
and the fix. I'm hoping Adam or Randall can write this, as they are most familiar with the
issues.

>> Once it is ready, we should do our best to make sure our users get a chance to read
it.

> I made a few more minor adjustments (see page history when you are logged in) and have
nothing more to add myself, but I'd appreciate if Adam or Randall could add a few more tech
bits.

> --
>
> In the meantime, I've put up a BIG FAT WARNING on the CouchDB downloads page:
>
>  http://couchdb.apache.org/downloads.html
>
> I plan to update the warning with a link to the post-mortem once that is done.
>
> --
>
> Thanks everybody for being on top of this!
>
> Cheers
> Jan
> --
>

>> Thanks,
>> Chris
>>
>> On Aug 8, 2010, at 5:16 AM, Robert Newson wrote:
>>
>>> That was also Adam's conclusion (data loss bug confined to 1.0.0).
>>>
>>> B.

the fact. It's probably up to use to decide what to do.

a new version and deprecate the old one, while optionally keeping it around for posterity.

release off of the downloads page, etc.

the issue and the remedy, as well as digging into how we can prevent this sort of thing in
the future.

weekend, with very clear steps to remedy it. (Eg: config delayed_commits to false *without
restarting the server* etc)