From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Data loss
Date Sun, 08 Aug 2010 19:06:25 GMT

On 8 Aug 2010, at 18:37, J Chris Anderson wrote:

> Devs,
>
> I have started a document which we will use when announcing the bug. I plan to move the
document from this wiki location to the http://couchdb.apache.org site before the end of the
day. Please review and edit the document before then.

> http://wiki.couchone.com/page/post-mortem
>
> I have a section called "The Bug" which needs a technical description of the error and
the fix. I'm hoping Adam or Randall can write this, as they are most familiar with the issues.

> Once it is ready, we should do our best to make sure our users get a chance to read it.

I made a few more minor adjustments (see page history when you are logged in) and have nothing
more to add myself, but I'd appreciate if Adam or Randall could add a few more tech bits.

--

In the meantime, I've put up a BIG FAT WARNING on the CouchDB downloads page:

  http://couchdb.apache.org/downloads.html

I plan to update the warning with a link to the post-mortem once that is done.

--

Thanks everybody for being on top of this!

Cheers
Jan
--

> Thanks,
> Chris
>
> On Aug 8, 2010, at 5:16 AM, Robert Newson wrote:
>
>> That was also Adam's conclusion (data loss bug confined to 1.0.0).
>>
>> B.

>>> 0.11.x does not have this commit as far as I can see.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Jan
>>> --

the fact. It's probably up to use to decide what to do.

a new version and deprecate the old one, while optionally keeping it around for posterity.

off of the downloads page, etc.

issue and the remedy, as well as digging into how we can prevent this sort of thing in the
future.

with very clear steps to remedy it. (Eg: config delayed_commits to false *without restarting
the server* etc)