From J Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: RFC: Releasing 1.0.1
Date Tue, 03 Aug 2010 23:30:23 GMT

On Aug 3, 2010, at 4:03 PM, Noah Slater wrote:

>>> What exactly is the Ubuntu deadline?
>>>

>> It's basically now-ish:
>>
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MaverickReleaseSchedule
>
> I'm not sure I understand that document, to be honest. Is there a specific date, or a
schedule, that we can follow? I don't like feeling like I'm rushing the release for some impending
but unspecified date. I don't mind co-ordinating releases with people either, but a little
more notice would be nice.

I don't understand it myself. I originally heard from some folks at Canonical that we'd have
until the FinalFreeze to make our release, but now from others that we had already passed
the PartnerUploadDeadline. I think the soon-approaching BetaFreeze (the 26th) is sort of an
internal deadline for them.

Generally, we are now in the pink part of the chart. Ubuntu would be happiest if we gave them
releases in the yellow part of the chart. The closer it gets to the red part of the chart,
the more likely they are to say it's not worth the trouble to do the work to vet / package
1.0.1. The vagueness of their schedule is part of the reason I'm suddenly feeling the rush.

It seems to help that 1.0.1 is nearly 100% bugfixes, as they will be able to review the changes
without much hassle.

Chris