From Mikeal Rogers <>
Subject Re: delayed_commits false
Date Mon, 05 Jul 2010 17:02:30 GMT
For the concurrent performance tests I wrote in relaximation it's actually
better to run with delayed_commits off because it measures the roundtrip
time of all the concurrent clients.

The reason it's enabled by default is because of apache-bench and other
single writer performance test tools. From what I've seen, it doesn't
actually improve write performance under concurrent load and leads to a kind
of blocking behavior when you start throwing too many writes at it than it
can fsync in a second. The degradation in performance is pretty huge with
this "blocking" in my concurrent tests.

I don't know of a lot of good concurrent performance test tools which is why
I went and wrote one. But, it only tests CouchDB and people love to pick up
one of these tools that tests a bunch of other dbs (poorly) and be like
"CouchDB is slow" because they are using a single writer.

But, IMHO it's better to ship with more guarantees about consistency than
optimized for crappy perf tools.