From Damien Katz <dam...@apache.org>
Subject Re: _changes timeout has a max of 60 seconds?
Date Fri, 07 May 2010 16:51:54 GMT
This is the intent.

The max timeout value is set in the ini. The reason we do this is to prevent lots of undetected
dead connections using up resources, which can happen if the TCP connection dies abnormally.

To get around the timeout, you up the changes_timeout in the ini:

[httpd]
changes_timeout=#millisecs

Or you have the server send a heartbeat. Then the connection can stay open indefinitely, and
the heartbeats cause dead connections to be detected by the server.

-Damien

On May 6, 2010, at 10:24 PM, Mark Hammond wrote:

> I'm trying to use _changes with feed=continuous and a timeout greater than the default
- however, couch always uses the default of 60 seconds.  Timeouts smaller than the default
work as expected.  It seems get_changes_timeout/2 in couch_changes.erl is responsible for
this by selecting the smallest of the specified and default timeout.

> While is sounds reasonable to have a default of 60 seconds, there doesn't seem to be
an obvious case for also making that the max - *some* maximum might be reasonable, but 60
seconds seems pretty low.  Should I open a bug, or is this really the intent?  If the latter,
I'll update the wiki accordingly...