From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject 1.0 Code Management
Date Sat, 03 Apr 2010 17:53:13 GMT
Hi dev@,

The next bigger thing up is our 1.0.0 release (yay!) and I'd like to get
clarification on how we are going to use SVN for this. So far, we
cut new releases from trunk, put them in a branch and kept that
up with bug fixes.

This time 0.11.x is meant to be the feature freeze for 1.0.0. Does that
mean we are going to use the 0.11.x branch as the basis for 1.0.0 or
do we want to keep using trunk?

I'd be fine with whatever we decide here, but I do want to get consensus.

A conservative view would mandate that we use the 0.11.x branch to add
bug fixes until it is shaped into a form that we want to call 1.0.0 and then
branch that into the 1.0.x branch that we keep for maintenance.

This would allow us to keep using trunk for new features as usual. This
also means, we have to maintain two to three branches (0.11.x, trunk and
eventually 1.0.x). This is a lot of bookkeeping.

One could argue that we should focus on 1.0.0 anyway and shouldn't add
new features to trunk until we're done, but I don't want to prescribe for
anyone what code to write when (that said, we can easily create another
branch for new features that we can merge back into trunk after 1.0.0 or each
developer can maintain a (semi-)-private git(hub) branch until after 1.0.0)

If we keep using trunk for 1.0.0 we should revisit if any patches that landed
in trunk after we branched 0.11.x are in fact meant for 1.0.0. I'm happy to
produce a list if there are any concerns. If there no concerns I'm happy to
ignore this point :)

I think the easiest way forward (as in easiest for us developers) is to
use trunk as the basis for 1.0 and agree to put new features elsewhere
until we branch 1.0.x.

But I'm happy to use 0.11.x as the basis and help managing all the
merging that needs being done, if we decide to do that.

What do you think?

Cheers
Jan
--