From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: New install feedback
Date Wed, 07 Apr 2010 10:24:17 GMT
Hi Cliff,

thanks for sending your feedback. I'l reply inline.

On 7 Apr 2010, at 11:58, Cliff Stanford wrote:

> Not sure if this is useful feedback or not.  I have just done a new install of CouchDB
0.11 on Fedora 11.  This was done from the svn 0.11 branch:

> ./bootstrap
> ./configure
> make
> sudo make install
>
> First problem was that no couchdb user was installed and couch's directories were owned
by root 0755.

make install doesn't create a couchdb user. See the INSTALL.Unix file for a complete set of
instructions.

> I then ran the test suite and got the following:

> delayed_commits
>
>   1. Assertion failed: db.open("3") == null
>
> reader_acl
>
>   1. Assertion failed: CouchDB.login("jchris@apache.org", "funnybone").ok
>   2. Assertion failed: CouchDB.session().userCtx.name == "jchris@apache.org"
>   3. Assertion failed: false && "can't open a doc from a secret db"
>   4. Assertion failed: CouchDB.login("jchris@apache.org", "funnybone").ok
>   5. Assertion failed: CouchDB.login("jchris@apache.org", "funnybone").ok
>   6. Assertion failed: CouchDB.session().userCtx.roles.indexOf("_admin") == -1
>
> stats
>
>   1. Assertion 'triggered, "We managed to force a all_dbs_active error."' failed: We
managed to force a all_dbs_active error.

> Rerunning the test suite reproduced all but the first problem.

The test suite isn't as robust as it could be. You should see that if you run the failing
tests in isolation, they will succeed eventually. We're working on improving that. In fact,
trunk should already be in better shape.

> I then changed the ownership on /usr/local/etc/couchdb and its contents to the couchdb
user.

> Only the stats test failed.

> The test suite appears to add a [couch_httpd_auth] section with a random secret to local.ini,
and leave it there.

We might want to clean that up. Do you mind opening a ticket for this on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB?

> FWIW, it also left a load of databases there that needed cleaning up.

This is intentional, so you can inspect the state of the databases that resulted in a failing
test.

Cheers
Jan