From Christopher Brown ...@opscode.com>
Subject Re: silent view index file corruption
Date Wed, 07 Apr 2010 16:57:35 GMT
Out of curiosity, if the expense of the hash function is a
consideration, have you all looked at using fnv1a or similarly fast hash
in place of md5?

-Chris

Paul J Davis wrote:

> On Apr 6, 2010, at 11:20 PM, Adam Kocoloski <kocolosk@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> On Apr 6, 2010, at 10:50 PM, Paul J Davis wrote:
>>
>>> This corruption was quite odd in that there wasn't a conspicuous reason for it.
 I didn't dive to deep into the whole thing so it's possible i missed something obvious.
>> The instance was unresponsive to ssh for 12 hours.  The report from AWS Support was
merely a "problem with the underlying host" followed by a recommendation to "launch a replacement
at your earliest convenience".  I don't know what the gremlins were doing behind the scenes,
but I'm not surprised the files are corrupted :)

> Yeah I don't think that we should worry about high energy particles flipping bits too
much here.

>>> There are two things at play here.  How proactive should we be in provoking theseI
errors and how much should we check for situations where our data file got trounced.

>>> The extreme proactive position would be equivalent to a full table scan per write
which is out of the question. So to some extent we won't be able to detect some errors until
read time which is an unknowable interval.
>> I'm totally comfortable with only detecting them at read-time.
>>
>>> The other aspect is how rigorous should we check reads? This extreme would basically
require a sha1 for every read or write no matter how small, not to mention the storage overhead.
This part I'm not sure about. There's probably middle ground with crc sums and what not but
i don't see a clear answer.
>> We currently store MD5 checksums with document bodies and validate them on reads.
 It hasn't proven to be an undue burden.

> We do that for every doc body? Did not know that. Perhaps general append_term_md5 usage
wouldn't be as big of a deal as i feared.

>> Best, Adam
>>
>>> Basically, the question is how much should we attempt to detect when hardware
lies.  I reckon that there's probably a middle ground to report when an assumption is violated
and full on table scans. Ideally such things would be fairly configurable but i sure don't
see an obvious answer.