From Dirkjan Ochtman <djc.ocht...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Preserving seq order through replication
Date Mon, 08 Mar 2010 09:20:29 GMT
On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 17:56, J Chris Anderson <jchris@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't think this is a bug. Preserving order across replicas is definitely something
that won't scale across a cluster (especially if it is partitioned), so we wouldn't want to
attempt guarantees like that at smaller scales.

I'm not sure why you think it doesn't scale across a cluster. If you
guarantee this for a single replication connection, doesn't that
magically scale to all of the cluster? That is, if any message y
preceded by message x came in at any of the masters, and all
replication channels preserve this order, then any server that has y
will be sure to have gotten x before. So I'm not sure why that implies
changes at larger scale.

> Of course, if you have a field you'd like to order operations on, you can mark your documents
with it and use view queries to drive the asynchronous processing.

Well, sure, but now I go from using the changes feed to having to
issue a view request on every notification in the changes feed, which
kind of sucks.

I don't think the feed filters can do ordering, right?

Cheers,

Dirkjan