From Filipe David Manana <>
Subject Re: /_all_dbs and security
Date Sun, 28 Feb 2010 15:42:20 GMT
> this is the best reason I've heard for making it a security document. I
> wonder how much slower the 7.5k dbs scan proceeds when it has to look up
> documents instead of linked objects? do you mind adding a doc-read to the
> tight loop just to see what it does to performance?

$ time curl http://localhost:5984/_all_dbs | wc -l
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left
100  100k    0  100k    0     0    576      0 --:--:--  0:02:57 --:--:--

real    2m57.811s
user    0m0.000s
sys    0m0.020s

Alot more as expected.

> the 7.5k thing isn't important once we have a _dbs db, but the cost it will
> expose as a benchmark will be proportional to the cost incurred on opening
> any db for any operation, and thus significant.

True. Traversing the b-tree of _dbs to find if a particular doc exists, and
then eventually insert it (which could imply re-balancing  the tree from
time to time) would take several disk accesses.

Any other ideas on how to implement _all_dbs efficiently?

Filipe David Manana,
PGP key -