From Randall Leeds <randall.le...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: associating UUIDs to DBs
Date Mon, 01 Feb 2010 21:06:57 GMT
I've been thinking about UUIDs for DBs myself. I see a couple cases
where this could come in handy. Both involve replication:

1)
IIRC, pull replication with an "http://..." (but local!) target and a
plain "dbname" target do not share checkpoints. Using a UUID would
allow CouchDB to easily identify whether it is pulling to a local
database even if the target specifies a URI and even if hostname
report's something other than the domain of the URI.

2)
If replication checkpoints store the UUID of the database the changes
were read from it would allow CouchDB to replicate checkpoints. For
example, imagine a continuous bi-directional replication between nodes
A and B. Now, add node C to the group and replicate from B to C. If we
then set up replication between A and C, C would not have to scan all
of A's changes because it is already aware of the checkpoints B made
when replicated from A by comparing its checkpoint source UUIDs to A's
UUID.

I can't claim to understand the internals of the replication code very
well (yet...), but I believe my claims to be correct and welcome
anyone who knows better to step in and say otherwise. Assuming I got
my facts straight, I'd love to see this for 0.11, as well as a
replications db for continuous replications that survive restarts. Oh,
and replication based on _changes.

-Randall

P.S. Will work for alcohol.