From Nicholas Orr <nicholas....@zxgen.net>
Subject Re: associating UUIDs to DBs
Date Tue, 02 Feb 2010 06:02:59 GMT
On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 4:16 PM, Chris Anderson <jchris@apache.org> wrote:

> UUIDs will be useful for a lot of things. My favorite bug we see now
> from not having a uuid, is when you are prototyping an app in the
> browser (with a function to generate X random docs for testing):
>
> When you apply the same number of randomized edits to a db, that has
> the same view code each time, the browser will occasionally present
> data from previous runs.
>
> This is because the Etag function does not have a database UUID for
> input (only the sequence number, and the ddoc signature) so after n
> edits with the same code you have the same Etag. The easiest fix for
> this is to generate a random uuid on database creation, and factor it
> into the Etag function.

I have run into this and it was most confusing. I'd destroy create the
database, add the same ddocs and create some new docs and I'd see the doc
_id from before in the browser. very annoying - then I figured out the
browser was caching stuff, so now I use ctrl+f5 in firefox to actually
refresh the data on the screen...