From Adam Kocoloski <kocol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CouchDB failing to open socket 5984 ?
Date Tue, 15 Sep 2009 14:46:06 GMT
On Sep 15, 2009, at 10:28 AM, Brian Candler wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 12:48:55AM +0200, Søren Hilmer wrote:
>> I was able to get my svn build up and running again.
>> After I did a: "make uninstall"
>> I issued: "find /usr -name \*couch*"
>>
>> And it turned up a lot of old issues, so I deleted all those and
>> did a fresh
>> "make install" and voila, we are back on listening, ahh time to
>> relax!
>
> OK, I tried this. After make uninstall, the main things turned up by
> find
> were:
>
> * /usr/local/lib/couchdb/erlang/lib/ibrowse-1.4.1/ebin  -- .app
> and .beam
> * /usr/local/lib/couchdb/erlang/lib/couch-0.XX.0aXXXXXX -- lots of
> files
>
> I first blew away /usr/local/lib/couchdb/erlang/lib/ibrowse-1.4.1/
> ebin and
> reinstalled, no difference.
>
> So I then did:
>
>  make uninstall
>  rm -rf /usr/local/lib/couchdb
>  make install
>
> and hey presto, it's working again!
>
> So that seems to be the magic needed. Thanks for pointing me in the
> right
> direction.
>
> Clearly, something in the change to the startup scripts made it
> sensitive
> to these extra files.
>
> Regards,
>
> Brian.

Thanks for following up, Brian!  The first thing I'd wonder is whether
those couch-0.XX.0aXXXXXX were accidentally named in such a way (by
us) that the Erlang code loader was searching older builds with higher
priority, in effect mixing builds because the new startup procuedure
added a few modules that weren't there before.  That's just a shot in
the dark, though.  Anyway, thanks again.  Best,

Adam