From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Website redesign
Date Mon, 03 Aug 2009 21:42:30 GMT
On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 12:17 PM, maddiin<maddiin@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Noah Slater schrieb:
>>
>> Hey,
>>
>> I am extremely grateful to Christopher Lenz for designing the first
>> version of
>> our official Apache site. However, I think it might be the time for a new
>> design. There have been a number of other document databases pop up in the
>> last
>> year, and we would do well to keep our image modern and fresh.
>>
>> Some of my initial thoughts:
>>
>>  * The header graphic could make the project name much bigger.
>>
>>  * The header graphic could include the phrase "Time to relax" as a
>> slogan.
>>
>>  * I'm not happy with the content hugging the left side and an empty right
>>    gutter. I would prefer a central column with a width between 40 and 50
>> em
>>    and a margin set to auto. Something generally like
>> http://miscoranda.com/
>>    would be nice, but a bit thinner.
>>
>>  * The font would probably look better in Georgia and being about 1em.
>>
>>  * Something a bit more like http://books.couchdb.org/relax/ would be
>> ideal.
>>
>> Of course, I could just come up with my own design and see what people
>> thought,
>> but I'm a little too busy, and thought it might be fun throwing this wide
>> open
>> to suggestions from the community. We might have some skilled designers!
>>
>> Best,
>>

> I 've made a quick layout trying to match your list. Screenshots are taken
> with a resolution of 1024x768.
>
>  1. "Classic" color scheme <http://twitpic.com/cndv0>
>  2. "Planet" color scheme <http://twitpic.com/cne19>

These are great! I'd suggest relaxing the nav bar a bit (it can have
more vertical space). I think the classic colors make it a little more
readable than the planet colors, but I like the new boldness too.
Maybe there's a way to blend them or maybe that'd be bland...

Anyway, I like where this is going.

Thanks,
Chris

--