From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Possible bug in indexer... (really)
Date Sat, 04 Jul 2009 00:57:20 GMT
On Sat, Jul 4, 2009 at 2:35 AM, Adam Kocoloski<kocolosk@apache.org> wrote:
> On Jul 3, 2009, at 6:37 PM, Chris Anderson wrote:
>

>> I don't mean to be harsh but suggesting you have a performance problem
>> here is like me complaining that my Ferrari makes a bad boat.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Chris
>
> Wow, that was unusually harsh coming from you, Chris.  Taking a closer look
> at Göran's map and reduce functions I agree that they should be reworked to
> make use of group=true, but nevertheless I wonder if we do have something to
> work on here.

Yeah didn't mean to be upsetting. I do appreciate the performance
heads-up from Göran. More importantly I think it's a documentation
heads up. Maybe Futon could learn to recognize bad reduces and warn
users before they start them...

We go our of our way to say "don't do it like that", and we shouldn't
optimize for cases that aren't supported. I think a performance fix
for this experience would actually be a bad thing, as it would make
the symptoms of a bad reduce more subtle. If you write a reduce that
doesn't reduce, it should blow up in your face as soon as possible.

Reduces that build a map (of say, unique words in a text) will grow
very fast. CouchDB is likely doing the right thing by flushing all the
time when hit with abusive reduces. If we can find cases where
supported uses are leading to avoidable slowdowns, then I'm all for
fixing it. I don't anticipate CouchDB will behave badly on good
reduces, although the only real answer here would be benchmarking.

Göran, did you see the "reduce_overflow_error" when writing this view?
You'd have to using trunk to see it, but if you are using trunk and
didn't get an explicit error, we've got work to do to make sure the
error appears.

Chris

> I think the fundamental question is why the flush operations were occurring
> so frequently the second time around.  Is it because you were building up a
> largish hash for the reduce value?  Probably.  Nevertheless, I'd like to
> have a better handle on that.
>
> Adam
>
>>> The net effect is that the view update that took 1-2 seconds
>>> suddenly takes 400 seconds or goes to a total crawl and never seems to
>>> end.
>>>
>>> By looking at the log it obviously processes ONE doc at a time - giving
>>> us
>>> 2-5 emits typically and then tries to reduce that all the way up to the
>>> root
>>> before processing the next doc. So the rereduces for the internal nodes
>>> will
>>> be run typically in this case 1000x more than needed.
>>>
>>> Phew. :) Ok, so we are basically hosed with this behavior in this
>>> situation.
>>> I can only presume this has gone unnoticed because:
>>>
>>> a) Updates most of us do are small. But we dump thousands of new docs
>>> using
>>> bulk (a full new fiscal year of data for a given company) so we

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchrisa.net