incubator-couchdb-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Timetable for 0.10.0
Date Fri, 03 Jul 2009 19:16:55 GMT
On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 10:45 AM, Damien Katz<damien@apache.org> wrote:
> I think we plan on doing a 0.10.0 release within the next month or so, as
> it's been 3+ months since we did 0.9.0.
>
> We shouldn't worry about what features are ready, we should just pick a date
> to make a  0.10.x branch and then no new features go into the branch after
> that, just bug fixes. If it's not in trunk at that time, then it's not in
> the branch. We wait a week or so to see if any bugs are found, patch the
> branch as we go. Once we have a stable branch, then we release 0.10.0.
>
> I propose Friday, July 31st as the 0.10.x branch date. I don't care that
> much about the exact, but I do want to pick a date and stick with it,
> because I don't want to get into the same situation we did with 0.9.0, where
> it was held up for months as we waited way too long for features I was
> working on. (sorry)
>
> All feedback welcome.
>

I agree with Damien here. We should schedule a release for the end of
the month and stick to our guns. There are lots of features that won't
make it into 0.10, but that's what 0.11 is for.

Otoh, I think we might do well to consider calling this our first beta
release. We could continue to call it alpha, but adoption is picking
up so much that we'd be kidding ourselves. Also, I think there's a
chance we can get the main features in by the end of the month. (I
guess alpha/beta should be decided when we get to the release date and
we see what did and didn't make it.)

The important data point here is that whatever our most stable release
is at the end of the month will likely be going into the Ubuntu Karmic
Live CD and landing on 10 million desktops. We should understand that
this means we'll be supporting this release for a broader user base
and a longer timeframe than past releases. If we don't do a release
before then we'll probably see 0.9.1 in Ubuntu and that'd be a shame
as the _list API improvements are only in current trunk, _changes is
new, etc.

Chris

-- 
Chris Anderson
http://jchrisa.net
http://couch.io

Mime
View raw message